Sunday, August 1, 2021

INTERVIEW WITH PLAYWRIGHT MARY LYNN DOBSON

 

Playwright Mary Lynn Dobson


Note:  This interview originally appeared in the Lakewood Theater program for their production of Ms. Dobson's play Two on the Aisle, Three in a Van.


BACKSTORY WITH BOBBY KENISTON

Whenever possible, I like to reach out to the playwrights of our productions and let you read what they have to say in their own words. Mary Lynn Dobson was gracious enough to take the time to answer some questions I sent along to her.

BOBBY KENISTON: Having worked as an actor and director, do you feel that acting and directing influences your work as a writer?

MARY LYNN DOBSON: Acting came first, directing and writing came shortly after. I think having an actor/director viewpoint helps when writing because you know details about production/performance that can fill out your story. But directing is probably my favorite. It takes the onus off you because you’re collaborating with others on someone else’s play. When your own work is being performed there’s a whole new level of stress, especially when you write comedy. If the audience isn’t laughing, your play’s not working. You know instantly. Then, there’s the actually writing process where you beat yourself up for hours over a single word. For me, Dorothy Parker summed it up best: “I hate writing. I love having written.”

BK: Two on the Aisle, Three in a Van, performed as part of the New York International Fringe Festival, one of the largest multi-arts events in North America, where it received the Summer Theatre Citation for Outstanding New Play and an award for Best Ensemble Cast. Could you tell us a little bit about performing as part of FringeNYC?

MLD: The play won and was first performed in the YES Festival at the University of Northern Kentucky and went over really well. So, I credit them with giving the play its start. After that, it had a several interim productions. Then I was approached by producers, Tiger Theatricals and Peter Riga, and they entered it in the Fringe Festival. Now let me tell you, everything in the Fringe happens really fast. We had next to no time to put publicity together, secure designers, get rehearsal space and hire actors. I actually auditioned 2 actors at the Cheesequake Rest Stop on the Garden State Parkway. But I was lucky because I ended up with a stellar cast led by Jim Stanek, Natascia Diaz and Gordon Joseph Weiss. We had very limited rehearsal time and you’re only allowed one tech rehearsal at the venue. Plus, there are 2 other shows going up on the same day. We literally had 15 minutes to put up and break down the set each night. For most shows that wouldn’t be problem, but we had to get a van on and off stage. It truly took a village and while it was one of the best experiences I’ve ever had, it was like being on the most terrifying rollercoaster in the world, and you don’t realize you had fun until 5 hours after it’s over.

BK: Two on the Aisle, Three in a Van is part of the glorious tradition of plays about the theater, giving audiences a behind-the-scenes view of what really goes into mounting a production. What do you think makes plays about the theater so accessible and enjoyable for audiences? Is it a way of inviting them into our world as theater-makers, or does working in theater simply lend itself to comical situations?

MLD: It’s both. What I tried to do was write for theatre people as well as an audience who just wanted to see a comedy. I chose “shows” that I thought most everyone would know. And even if someone wasn’t familiar with them, I wrote it so they still would know what was happening in the story. My goal was to try to make it universally funny, which I hope I did.

BK: Along with your plays for a more adult audience, you have written the family-friendly The Somewhat True Tale of Robin Hood, published by Dramatic Publishing, which has been produced in all fifty states. Is there a difference in how you approach writing a play for all audiences that is different from writing your other plays? Do you feel it is important for playwrights to diversify in this way to reach a wider audience?

MLD: Two on the Aisle, Dracula and Skin Deep are for adult audiences. Skin Deep is a comedy about child beauty pageant moms being interviewed for a “documentary.” Out of 982 plays, it was one of 6which won the Samuel French Off-Broadway Short Play Festival. I seem to gravitate to writing for adult audiences more. I have no children and shouldn’t be the person molding the minds of young America. I think Robin Hood will be my only family-friendly play. Truth be told, I kinda Forrest Gump-ed my way with the success of that one. When Dramatic first published it, I thought it would just get a couple of productions a year at best. It’s global now. Seriously, it’s been performed all over the world. And it’s a really weird feeling when you’re sitting in your den watching Dancing with the Stars and you realize in a few hours part of your life will be going on in Albania without you.

BK: A few drama teachers describe The Somewhat True Tale of Robin Hood as having a Mel Brooks vibe to it, and one theater company described your play Dracula, Down for the Count as a Young Frankenstein for Dracula. Would you say you are inspired by the comedy style of Mel Brooks? Who are some of your other influences?

MLD: Actually, both my Robin Hood and Dracula were first done in the mid-eighties before Mel Brooks did his versions. That being said, if anyone feels my work resembles Mel Brooks’, even if it’s only by a hair, I can die happy.

BK: It is a clearly an uncertain time for playwrights and all other theater artists. Do you have any thoughts on how Covid-19 will affect live theater moving forward? What do you think of the many theater companies trying to offer new content through Zoom and other online resources during this time?

MLD: I commend anyone for doing anything they can to keep theatre going. Unfortunately, many shows might not fend well in a Zoom format— mine included (except for Skin Deep). This is such a horrible, crazy time. I think some necessary changes will have to be made. Will they be permanent? That I don’t know. But one thing I truly believe, and I believe this with every fiber of my being— we will make our way back.

If you would like to learn more about Mary Lynn Dobson and her work, please check out these links!

https://www.concordtheatricals.com/a/2406/mary-lynn-dobson

https://www.facebook.com/TheSomewhatTrueTaleOfRobinHood/

https://www.dramaticpublishing.com/the-somewhat-true-tale-of-robin-hood

And feel free to check out my book review blog, MY ONLY FRIENDS ARE BOOKS!

No comments:

Post a Comment